Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesday Tell All - Proud to be an American

This week's TTA is about why I'm proud to be an American. I've been reading "1776" by David McCullough recently, and I have to say that in my opinion the only reason we won the Revolutionary War was because it was the will of God. I remember learning about the war in school, but it seemed everything was just kind of skimmed over. We were out-numbered, and didn't have the training the British soldiers did, yeah, I get it... at least I thought I did. Reading this book which goes into real detail, I have a whole new outlook on that pivotal time. I am so incredibly grateful for those dedicated men who struggled for so long, and gave everything they had so we could gain our independence. I'm so grateful to every man and woman from the revolutionary war to today, who has served our country during both times of war and times of peace.

Why am I proud to be an American? Because we have men and women who are willing to voluntarily serve this country and fight for the freedoms we have. They aren't forced to do it. I'm proud because of the humanitarian work we do throughout the world. I'm proud because I can vote and make my voice heard. I'm proud because even though we all have our differences of opinion, we can declare our views publicly. I'm proud because I can belong to any religion I choose. This list could go on and on, but let me just say that I AM proud to be an American, and so very thankful that I was born in this wonderful country.

No comments: